martedì 27 novembre 2007

...do YouTube? I do...


Hey mates, I’m so sorry I’m late in posting this e-tivity but I wasn’t at home during the weekend and I couldn’t find a way to even post a message because the connection didn’t work for some days.

This post is about YouTube, one of the most important websites of the net, which was thought to watch and share videos by simply uploading them for free. What made YouTube so interesting at the beginning is that everybody can watch the videos there, no matter what kind of files they are. Afterwards, people started appreciating it for the huge quantity of material this site can provide. You can find videos about every kind of topic; you just need to write a word on the search engine and click on it to choose from a very long list of links to files of all sorts.

I started using YouTube as soon as my friends told me about it. I can find whatever I need, believe me. Sometimes searching is not really easy…or better, immediate…but if you search with the right words and choose carefully from the list, I’m sure you’ll get what you desire.
In particular, I starting searching this site for rare music videos and pieces of concerts. Moreover, I searched for films and TV shows. There I soon realized that you can find videos from all over the world and I often love to compare the voices of American or British actors with those of their Italian or Spanish dubbers (I had real fun watching cartoons by Walt Disney in various languages, as well!).

I think YouTube can also be a very useful site to improve your language skills. Many videos (and I would say the majority of them) are in English, so they can be very useful to get your ear used to normal-speed English conversations or learn new words and expressions.
I visited TeacherTube, a sort of branch of YouTube, which provides only educationally focused videos and I think it’s really interesting. I didn’t know it existed, but I immediately bookmarked it. I think I will visit it a lot because it gives us the chance to go straight to what we need as learners. In this way we can save time from searching and choosing on the general YouTube search engine.

In my career as a language learner, YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/ has been one of the main tools to learn while having fun!

5 commenti:

Elisa rossi ha detto...

Hi Fede! I see that you are so enthusiastic about YouTube as a language learning mean so I will try to use it more than what I do now. I had never thought to the possibility to listen different languages of films or cartoons...it should be interesting! Thank you!!

Giovanna S. ha detto...

Hi Fede!

How are you?

You wrote a very complete and positive post about YouTube. I like you concentrated on the positive aspects of this tool and your own experience with it (especially when you wrote about cartoons ;-)).

Like you, I think that YouTube is an important source to get information and to improve listening skills. Moreover, YouTube gives us the opportunity to upload our videos so we can also share our ideas with others thanks to videos, comments, and groups.
I like this website also because I can learn and have fun at the same time. That’s great! Podcasts and YouTube videos can be fundamental to listen to fluent English, as you pointed out in your post. YouTube contains a lot of videos, and this means we can search for and find many clips we consider helpful, such as documentaries in English or even videos aimed at ESL/EFL learners. This is a fantastic opportunity the Web is offering us! Why should we ignore this tool?

You wrote about TeacherTube as well. As you noticed, it’s a good repository of videos. Anyway, I think YouTube collection of videos is bigger and offers more and more sources for learning, even though they're not precisely dealing with lnguage learning.

See you!

Giovanna

vale ha detto...

Hey u!
What's up?!
And where is the video?!Come on show us something interesting!
I'm just joking, anyway I liked ur post,u r right youtube can be very useful..but my problem with that has been my being nervous and impatient..I mean If I already know what I'm searching for it's ok..otherwise I normally get lost..and by the time I find something really interesting I'm tired of searching eheh..yes I'm lazy!But u are right,sometimes u can find brilliant clips that u couldn't even think of..and that's good!
I'm waiting for the video eh..
see u!
x

vale ha detto...

Hey u!
What's up?!
And where is the video?!Come on show us something interesting!
I'm just joking, anyway I liked ur post,u r right youtube can be very useful..but my problem with that has been my being nervous and impatient..I mean If I already know what I'm searching for it's ok..otherwise I normally get lost..and by the time I find something really interesting I'm tired of searching eheh..yes I'm lazy!But u are right,sometimes u can find brilliant clips that u couldn't even think of..and that's good!
I'm waiting for the video eh..
see u!
x

alicev ha detto...

Hi,

I'll try not to repeat what I've already written on the previous comments... Like you I started using YouTube to find concerts and interviews of my favourite artists... At the beginning it was great because I really had fun watching a large amount of unreleased appearances and bootlegs... Wow! I remember that once, it was a Friday evening I think, being lazy and tired, I opted to watch all the videos featuring Ella Fitzgerald I could find, than to watch TV or to go out with my friends... It was great! I found some rare and impressive performances even quite old of her!
Therefore I decided to attach one video of Ella featured by Joe Pass on my personal Myspace's page.
That's how I started dealing with YouTube! Now, like you and many others ;-), I'm exploting it even for different purposes, like learning English... of course!

See you soon,
Alice