sabato 27 ottobre 2007

...two weeks of blogging

First of all I have to admit that I am really hopeless at computers, so I was a little scared when I found out that this course was about blogging, posting comments and using tools that I had never heard before. But after two weeks everything seems to be more clear and easy to me (but don’t even try to ask me how to change the colour of the layout or to centre your picture, please! Hahaa…).
The only problem is that my computer wants to dare me to fight as usual. After I understood more or less how to post my messages, things turned to be more difficult: the ADSL connection started working badly. That’s why I couldn’t be punctual in posting my things. But an angel fell from the sky…well, he wasn’t an angel, really, but a technician from the telephone company who repaired everything without asking me too many questions. Now I think I have what I need to win my computer and go on constantly with my e-tivities.


Joking aside, I enjoyed searching for blogs. I knew what they were, but I was not used to visit and read them. I thought they were just a sort of personal diary where people could write about their own life. But this is not true. Blogs are much more: you can find blogs about every kind of topic that comes to your mind. They can be informative and very professional, even if their language is often informal. I started becoming familiar with the etiquette, but I still like simple concise blogs. If they’re too sophisticated or they contain too many things, they turn to be confusing to me. I loved analysing the different kinds of styles people used, because they can tell you more about the writer, since everybody has its own personal way of writing or organizing things.

I had never considered blogs to be a way to learn and improve my English. After two weeks I can say that this new way of working and writing can be helpful and stimulating for many of us. Moreover, it’s going to be a hard work to keep on writing, reading and commenting blogs every week, especially for people like me, who prefer chatting in front of a cup of coffee, watching people directly in the eyes, instead of staying hours and hours in front of a screen. But I will devote myself to blogging, I promise. But at the end of the lesson, can we sit at a café???

3 commenti:

vale ha detto...

Hei Federico!!Nice post..I agree with you, a cup of coffee and a chat are much better than writing thoughts on a blog, even though sometimes a blog allows you to write things that you'll never be able to express when talking to someone or to share pictures, videos and stuff that you wouldn't be able to share in other ways. So, thumb up for the blogosphere!!My problem with the computer is not the adsl or the connection..I like using internet and finding interesting blogs but I just can't spend more than one hour in front of a screen otherwise it will give me such a headache..nevermind..I always have my pills with me,eh eh!
See you in class!..or in a bar!!

Giovanna S. ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.
Giovanna S. ha detto...

Hi Federico!

Your blog is very nice, and the title immediately caught my attention. You used an interesting metaphor (messages like soap bubbles) to describe your posts!! Moreover, the layout you chose is simple and clear, and the pictures you posted drew my eye thanks to the black background. Good job!

As regards these two weeks of blogging, you wrote you learnt how to post messages and create a blog, even though you still have to learn how to use this tool better. I must admit I didn’t have many difficulties in creating my own blog or posting messages, because when I started blogging at the university I already had a blog with two friends of mine. Anyway, I’m still learning how to use the blog efficiently. For example, last week I learnt how to put a list of links in the blog. If you need to know how to add links, just ask me and I’ll help you!!

I agree with you about what blogs are: they are not only personal diaries, and they can deal with different topics. The language is often neutral or informal, but they can be informative, for example when they focus on particular subjects, such as current affairs, music, or language learning. So, blogs can be useful sources! As you wrote in the post, it is very interesting to visit different blogs and looking at different styles, because you can learn not only how to improve your own blog, but also how netiquette is used. You said we are becoming familiar whith netiquette, and I think this is fundamental in order to behave properly on the net.
You also pointed out the importance of blogging in order to improve our English. At the beginning I was very curious, like you, about the blogging course; now I understood that creating and updating a personal blog (and obviously commenting on others’blogs) can be very stimulating and useful, because we can really learn from each other!! I’m sure that receiving comments from others will be very helpful in order to practise our informal English!

See you soon and happy Halloween!!

Giovanna S.